Jack Richards

Approaches to teaching pronunciation - Consultant

Discussion
Jack Richards

Dear Members

I'm Jack Richards, your Consultant for Methodology and Linguistics, and this week I will be discussing approaches to teaching pronunciation.

In my video, I consider how approaches to teaching pronunciation have changed with the various changes in methodologies. I will also reflect on accent, how this can be influenced by a learner's sense of identity and the increasing importance of 'intelligibility' over 'accuracy'. I will also discuss briefly some of the observations and suggestions made by Jennifer Jenkins on what features are taught as part of 'standard' English pronunciation and whether these are vital to intelligibility. 

‚Äč

I'll be here in the forum all this week, answering your questions and exploring the ideas in more detail.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jack

Your Consultant is available to respond in this thread only during the week of 10 October 2016 (Mon–Fri). After or before this, we encourage you to continue discussing the ideas yourselves. Don’t forget to follow this thread, so you can keep up with the discussion as it progresses (once you've signed in, just click "Subscribe" in the top right

Published 6 Oct 2016

14 Replies, 500 Views

Last post by Jack Richards
on 15 Oct 2016
You must sign in or register to view this discussion.

Please sign in

You need to sign in to view this item.

Sign in or Register

Please sign in / register

Please login by clicking on the sign in link if you are already registered, otherwise please register first by clicking on the link register.

Sign in or Register

Please sign in

You need to be a Guest or Member of Cambridge English Teacher to buy this course.

Please sign in or register.

Members-only resource

You need to be a member to view this resource.

Sign in or become a Member